Friday, May 22, 2009
1 cup hulled mung beans
1/3 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup coconut cream
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups water
1. Select the mung beans, discard small stones and bad beans. Wash thoroughly, and soak in warm water for 2 hours.
2. Steam the beans over boiling water on high heat for 20 minutes or until just cooked through, remove from the heat.
3. Mix 3 3/4 cups of water and sugar in a pot. and stir over medium heat. When all the sugar has dissolved, strain to remove impurities and return to the heat.
4. Mix the tapioca flour with 1/4 cup of water and add to the syrup.
5. Stir until the batter is clear and done, add in the steamed mung beans, stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the salt into the coconut cream and stir until dissolved, bring to the boil over low heat, then remove from the heat.
7. Spoon the sweet mung beans into a dessert bowl, pour some of the salted coconut cream on top and serve.
Tapioca flour can be substituted by corn flour