Our dessert today is also one of my favourites. It is called "khao tom mad". It is basically a mixture of sticky rice with coconut cream and sugar. It also has a ripe banana in the middle and you can also see some black eye peas in this picture. It is wrapped in banana leaves and then left to steam for two hours. These cost only 6 baht each. Baitong khanom thai .
1 2/3 cups sweet (glutinous) rice
2 cups coconut cream
4 tablespoons palm sugar pinch of salt
8 ounces dried black beans
4 small bananas, halved
Rice and Black Beans
1. Soak the glutinous rice in water overnight, then drainIf you want to include the black beans soak them overnight also and boil until soft.
2. Combine coconut cream, sugar and salt in a separate bowl and stir until ingredients absorbed.
3. Put all of the drained rice in a non-stick pan on low heat, and very.
4. slowly add the coconut cream mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon.
5. Keep stirring over simmering heat until the rice is tender and all of the coconut milk is absorbed.
6. This may take up to one hour, be patient and make sure the coconut milk is absorbed.
7. Let cool.
1. Put a small amount of rice on a banana leaf and mix with black beans.
2. Place a banana on top.
3. cover with more rice and beans.
4. fold up the leaf and tie securely.
5. Repeat until all bananas are used up.
6. Steam for 15 minutes, in a bamboo steamer, allow to cool