Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Kaj jure (omelette)

Kaj jure



Ingredients

2 egg
1 tablespoons fish sauce

1 cup cooking oil

fresh-ground pepper
A bit of milk

Method


Use a standard non-stick medium skillet. Spray a very light coat of Pam or other cooking spray over the whole pan. Let the pan warm to a medium-low heat (like, 4 on a scale of 10).
(I am usually a butter fan, but I don't recommend it for this. You need very light, even greasing that won't pool or burn.) In a bowl, add a bit of milk to your three eggs. I don't know how to explain how much milk, because I forgot to measure it. I guess about a quarter of a cup -- it's an eyeball thing. Two heavy pours, or "gloop gloop." I know some people leave it out, but I believe the milk is the 1st key to a perfect omelet.Add some seasoning to taste. I like a little salt and fresh-ground pepper.Pour the egg mixture in the skillet, and swish it around so that a fine layer of egg sticks to the side of the pan. (You might want to click on the "swish pic" at left to see the closeup.) Do this by picking up the skillet and rotating it slightly. This is Swish #1, and it is the 2nd key to the perfect omelet. When the egg is about 70% cooked solid, it is time for the second swish. Whatever liquid mixture is left in the skillet, swirl it around the edges again to make the crispy edge layer thicker.











No comments: